As we go hurtling into another new year we often spend so much energy focusing on what we're going to do better this year that it's easy to forget to take time to remember our achievements.
Together our foster carers and young people achieved some amazing things in 2012, things that are undeniable proof of the power of fostering to improve young people’s lives. To some these may seem like small things, but those who foster or work with fostered children know that when it comes to making a happy childhood the small things are the big things.
- A foster child with severe learning disability, delayed speech and mobility who had to be tube fed for the majority of the time took his first spoon of yoghurt and custard;
- Just 18 months after going to live with his Family Fostercare foster family a 14 year-old boy with a record of underachievement at previous schools received the ‘Outstanding Pupil’ award at his new school. He also took up golf and joined the local Army cadets. His 12 year-old sister also received and ‘Outstanding Pupil’ award from her school.
- Two foster carers joined forces to help two of their looked-after children attend rehearsals in Birmingham Hippodrome for a show they will be appearing in early this year.
- One of our carer’s foster child was awarded a trophy for outstanding horse riding, a hobby which she took up since being placed with the carers. This same young lady is also now attending school on a more consistent basis.
- Foster carers responsible for four siblings were informed by the school that there have been marked improvements in the children’s academic ability since being in placement.
These are just a few examples of the many achievements made by our foster carers and young people last year. We wanted to say that we’re proud of you all and if together we achieve as much in 2013 as we did in 2012 it’ll be a very good year!
If you have been inspired by some of the achievements in this article and think that you could help young people through fostering then please get in touch with your local Family Fostercare office directly, complete our online enquiry form or call us on 0800 321 3230.