Here are some of the tips:
- Test smoke alarms every week.
- The best escape route is the normal way in and out of your home. Ensure keys to doors and windows are stored/kept within the escape route.
- Practice your escape plan.
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances at night.
- Close inside doors at night (especially to the kitchen and lounge) to stop a fire from spreading.
- Do not leave heat generating items (i.e. tumble dryers, hair straighteners, etc.) unattended when in use.
- Do not overload your sockets.
- Don’t get distracted when you’re cooking.
- NEVER be tempted to tackle a fire yourself, however small it appears. ALWAYS get out, stay out, call 999.
Free Safe and Well visits are carried out bey operational firefighters and last about an hour. These can be booked by contacting West Midlands Fire Service on 0800 389 5525.